Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reading Response 9/30

I'd like to respond specifically to the Powell article in light of our classroom discussion today. Personally, I look at Powell as a woman who can bring a personal experience to class that is potentially more effective than reading. Throughout these readings, I've noticed a consistent suggestion that tells us to meld 'real life' with composition and to break down the walls that exist between academia and our thoughts and opinions. In the spirit of this recurring theme, I don't see why we shouldn't bring our class, religion, sexuality, and most importantly race, into our teaching experience. Ms. Powell's experience as both an African-American and a woman affords her the ability to relate not just any experience she may have had with oppression, but also allows students to witness a sincere human reaction to racism. I think that reading about sensitive subjects offers students a comfortable distance. They are able to agree or disagree freely when not being confronted by a live, human voice. I am not surprised at all that Ms. Powell encountered a great deal of resistance in her class. I am sure that a good part of her students may have gone their whole lives without having such a charged conversation with someone of a different race. While this may make them uncomfortable, I think it is an important experience for them to have. The danger here is an alienation so intense that the students either close down and stand in complete opposition to the professor, or merely submit and give the professor what she wants. I think that it is important when bringing your personal background into class, be it class, race, religion or sexuality, to remain approachable toward your students. I can imagine this is very difficult to do, especially if offensive language is used towards a group that you identify with. I suppose this is a risk that must be taken if we are to use ourselves as a real life example of something we are trying to bring across in class.

I grew up in a predominately white town, and while I was aware of racial issues through reading and film, the scope and dynamics of racism did not really occur to me until I interacted with some of my African-American professors who adopted a similar approach to race as Ms. Powell did. While this approach engenders defensiveness and irritation in some students, I came away from these professors' classes with a newfound understanding of race and gender.
I think that Ms. Powell's argument is especially relevant now that we are living in a world that some consider to be "post-race." With so many people claiming that racism is over, I think that it takes interaction with a person who has experienced racism to orient students to reality.

My only complaint with the article is that Powell admittedly did not give as much attention to other minority groups. I think that perhaps structuring the course around a timeline of racism (i.e., begin with the genocide of Native Americans, discuss Japanese internment camps, etc.) would detract from claims that she is merely pushing an agenda. In this case her personal experience becomes supplemental to the overall theme of racism in America and does not become the primary focus of the class. I think it would also serve her well to focus on the many layers of oppression an individual can experience (i.e. how someone who is both homosexual and an ethnic minority faces oppression on more than one side) to further explore the nuances of racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment